Monday, December 4, 2023

Garifuna

 To continue my theme of Belize, I have had the pleasure of getting to know the Garifuna culture on our travels each year.

We visited Belize right before their annual Garifuna Settlement Day celebration, which is held on November 19th of each year.


This year, we had the pleasure of watching a traditional Garifuna dance. 

These dances include stories of the history of the Garifuna settlement and other rich stories of their past.


To add to the experience, I spent an afternoon learning how to cook a traditional Belizian breakfast food called "Fry Jacks."  Miss Jude, the chef, has become one of my dearest friends in Belize. She is a full-blooded Garifuna and can trace her ancestors back to some of the first settlers in Belize.

At Books By The Bushel, we sell many books that teach about cultures worldwide. For me, I must immerse myself in the local culture wherever I go (even here in the US, where we have so many different traditions and cultures!).

No comments:

Post a Comment